Thursday, October 19, 2006


We all need friends


The blog now pays homage to the friend…


We all need friends.

What is a friend? Do you have many friends?

In many parts of the world today, we see the ‘lonely’ crowd. They are the mass of humanity we see everyday at the LRT stations, at the supermarkets and on the roads. Many do not have friends. Relocation, loss of a partner and other life changes has denied them of a circle of friends. They are victims of the silent epidemic called loneliness.

In today’s society; we used the word ‘friend’ generally to label almost anyone we know, even superficially. We do not define what a friend is in a qualitative manner. A friend can range from a work-place colleague, someone you meet in church on Sunday to the jogger whom you exchange greetings at the park.

Let us try to define friendship in a precise manner or in some operational terms.

The basis of friendship is relating. Derived from the Anglo-Saxon word meaning beloved, a friend is a person you know well and regard with affection and trust. Friends have in-depth relationship. Friends have similar values; they share common interests. Friends are equals. Friends interact and friends bond.

Friends confide in each other. Friends are trusting, supportive, loyal and understanding. They seek out each other's company and exhibit mutually helping behavior. Friends are relaxed and comfortable in each other’s company. Friends communicate all the time. They are intimate and empathize with each other regularly on private issues and concerns.

Is it easy to make friends?

Friendship does not come naturally. It must be carefully cultivated and maintained vigorously at all times.

Friendship begins when we start by confiding to someone new. We then have regular contact and continuous communication with that person. Friendship is strengthened through constant involvement in common projects and activities like having lunch together, going to the movies, discussion on mutual topics of interests and the occasional visit to one another’s house. Over time, two people can have an enduring personal relationship. We called this FRIENDSHIP.

Simply put, friendship is a function of constant contact and communication resulting in an enduring relationship. It oftentimes leads to love….

Is friendship permanent?

Friendship is dynamic. It can grow; it can die. Friendship fades the day you go separate ways; the day you develop dissimilar interests.

There will be decreasing communication and before you know it, it has gone…

In parting therefore:

Remember always that friends relate.
Maintain friendship more than you would maintain your car. Together get involved regularly in mutually interesting projects and activities. At all cost, stay in touch with each other.

If you constantly treasure each other’s company, then you have got a friend…..

So do you have many friends? Really?

Evaluate again in a definitive manner.

If you do, count your blessings!

Quote of the Day:

“No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.” John Donne

Heartsong-Heartstrong

6 comments:

kexiou said...

Agree here. Keep in touch is essential to maintain any relationship.

I have not been doing a good job in this; I do need to improve myself in this. In fact, I'm trying to spend more time with people that I care;I have been busy-ing with my own stuff all these while, and I believe I have been gradually losing sth...

kexiou said...

Agree here. Keep in touch is essential to maintain any relationship.

I have not been doing a good job in this; I do need to improve myself in this. In fact, I'm trying to spend more time with people that I care;I have been busy-ing with my own stuff all these while, and I believe I have been gradually losing sth...

Family of Four said...

Kexiou,

Thank you for your comments.

Do you know it gets very difficult to make friends as you grow older? All of us will collect baggage along the way. Chiefly, a family and a career.First, we will be caught in the rat race. Then the money chase! We won't have much time for friends. We interact with people superficially.

Ultimately, not only we lose good friends, we also enstrange our relatives. We cocoon ourselves in a world of our own. We become private;we become selfish and secretive.

At the end of the day, when we fall sick; when we are in trouble, when we grow old, life can indeed be very lonely. At that time when you look around, you will find no one to call a friend.

Therefore invest in friendship. It will pay major dividends in our twilight years.

Regards.

Aurora said...

How nice to know that idealism, optimism and all that those old-fashioned sentiments are not yet obsolete. And still in fashion, by the looks of your blog.

Thank you for dropping by, wonddering how you stumbled upon me though :)

bunnywunny.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Friends come & go as they please. But the memories are for us to keep. No one can take them away.

Keep it up buddy!

Family of Four said...

Aurora,

Just happens to come by your blog through random clicking.

Maybe such idealisms will die with me.

Dr.Frapuccino:

How true! Thanks for dropping by..