Monday, January 08, 2007

My Year of Ministry


I must admit I have been lying low for many years. There was so much inactivity; so much indecision. The years are passing fast and I have yet to make any commitment to serve. It was excuses galore not to commit all the time.

Yes,there has been much trepidation on my part; chiefly because of the fear of failing to live up to the responsibility and expectation of ministry. I must equip myself if I am to serve well. I have to read the Bible more faithfully, be able to quote fluently and correctly and also to be more prayerful. I do attend church regularly but lately my CG attendance has fallen.

On equipping myself, I have attended only one course in church way back possibly in 2002. I have been lying fallow ever since. I may have to think seriously of attending some of the Level 1 courses of the School of Leadership this year.

When there was a notice in the celebration leaflet seeking the services of a co-teacher for an English Adult class, my wife suggested that I volunteer for this. So I believe this could be the Lord’s calling to me - to use my gifting. And so the next day, I rang up Ivy and spoke to her about this opportunity to teach. She put me to Moo Meng and Moo Meng put me to Hong Looi. Both briefed me on the Adult English Class programme, its status and its issues.

As the 2007 class was to start on 7th January, I decided to sit in and observe Moo Meng. She was agreeable to my suggestion and so on that day; I and my wife went to Lot 10 in Taman Mayang. Thank God, there was an additional 3 students. So, it is now a mixed class with two adults and 3 children; the youngest being a Form 1 student. I was most thankful to the Lord for this development because I can now use group work and pair work tasks to flush boredom out of the classroom.

I have signed the volunteer form to teach for a year. My first class will be on 14 January and I am looking forward to be of service to these 5 souls, DUMC and God.


Quote of the Day:


Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions.” Unknown


Heartsong

No comments: