Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Talentime


I remembered the talentimes when I was at school. Kwai Wah and his rendition of “Fall in Love with You” and Richard Bateman on his accordion were memorable. I do not know where Kwai Wah is today but Richard was killed while hunting, donkey years ago. School Talentimes were generally forgettable.

Then came the era of the Bintang RTM and we had great discoveries the likes of Sudirman Hj Arshad. That era came and went. Sudirman himself has gone too.

Then came our Malaysia Idol. This national contest did attract some attention. Jaclyn Victor certainly deserves to win over Dina. Malaysia Idol 2 was an upset, though. That squeky Daniel won. Nita should have. See how she spin her magic with “Big Spender”.

Akademi Fantasia-I did not watch the earlier ones as it catered to an almost Malay audience. Mawi, however, during the last Akademi Fantasia was good and deserved it. One in a Million- the worst contest as the winner should have been Dayang from the word ‘Go’…. A tragedy of the worst kind… Suki is just a baby!

So what kind of contest do we have for 2007? The Chinese are having their Superstar finals but they appeal only to the Chinese speaking community particularly to the Cantonese. So far nothing in sight.

So let us look at the current American Idol contest. We are now down to the Final 7 after Haley Scarnato was sent home. Not a great singer but great legs! It looks like a two-horse race now with two possible outsiders as well. I must say farewell to Phil,Chris and Sanjaya. The hot breath fight will be between Melinda Doolittle and Lakisha. Jordin and Brad may caused an upset but quite unlikely.

My placings are: Melinda Doolittle for a win, Lakisha and Brad for a place. Jordin will come in 4th. and Sanjaya 5th.

So, let us see how it will materialise as the weeks go by.

Quote of the Day:

Heartsong