Saturday, December 02, 2006


Health Screening – Listen to your body talk..


The National Population and the Family Development Board and Sau Seng Lum Loving Charity organized a Family Health Camp in Petaling Jaya Utara this morning.


With my wife, I took a brisk morning walk to the Taman Aman Park where it was held. We saw a big crowd at the basketball court where the sponsors had set up camp.

To be eligible for our cholesterol and glucose test, we fasted a full 10 hours.


After registration, we weighed in and had our heights taken. My body mass index was okay. We then took our blood pressure. Mine was good. Next, was the blood test to know our glucose and cholesterol levels. Within three minutes, we had the results! My glucose level was fine but I flung the cholesterol test. The lady medical personnel quickly advised me to get off my butt and exercise. Also, I was to be more selective in my diet.

At the next station, I got some advice on diabetes. Then, my wife went for her breast cancer screening while I took the ECG. My ECG was A-okay. I skipped the bone density test as there were just too many elderly ladies ahead of me.

Looking back, I was rather happy to be able to partake of this free-of -charge health screening, especially in the comfort and vicinity of my neighbourhood. Good effort on the part of the sponsors. Bravo!


As a taxpayer, we should take advantage of such freebie health screening opportunities. Believe me; it will make a big hole in your pocket to have one done at a private clinic or hospital.

I think the Member of Parliament has done her fair bit here as well. Apart from the health screening, there were exciting programmes for children, karaoke singing and line dancing for the elderly folks.

And yes, there was free food sponsored by Kelana Seafood Restaurant. Since they only provided food to those with food coupons which were distributed and snapped up at 8.00 am, we went away hungry…

Poor me and the wife..

Quote of the Day:

“He who has health has hope; and he who has hope has everything.”Arabic Proverb

Heartsong-Heartstrong

No comments: