Wednesday, November 22, 2006

My Numero Uno Long Pants

Did you remember when you started wearing long pants? Was it a hand-me-down or a brand new one, custom-made for you?

I, for one, did not fell into either of these 2 categories. I was given a reconditioned one. Fancy that!

Anyway, it was a milestone in my life.

Wearing a pair of long pants is a major event. It signals that you have come of age - you have arrived. I was already in Form 4 by then. Good grief! Even at that age, I still did not have the seminal apparel that distinguishes a kid from a morphing adult-to-be.

The watershed year was 1968. I was boarding with my Uncle 7 in Pringgit Pantai, Malacca. One fine day late that year, before the advent of the long year-end annual school holidays, my favorite Auntie Lan, came to visit. She was one pretty lady, a sight to behold!

That evening, right after dinner, out of the blue, she blurted to me, “Here, let me take your measurements.”

“Why?” I asked in surprise.

“I want to present you a pair of long pants for the forthcoming Chinese New Year.”

Yipee! My heart leapt heavenward! Momentarily, I was in suspended animation, beaming with joy from ear to ear.

And what brought about this fortunate turn of event for me?

I was later to find out that the tailoring shop where Auntie Lan worked, had one bad customer. He ordered the pair of pants but unfortunately failed to collect it. The shop kept his deposit and took the loss. The completed pair of pants was to be displayed in a glass showcase for a very long time.

During the year-end stock-taking, the shop owner decided to will the pants to Auntie Lan.

One man's loss is another's gain. So Auntie Lan re-tailored them to my measurements and viola! I had a new pair of long pants.

Lucky me!

Quote of the Day:

"Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." Albert Einstein

Heartsong-Heartstrong



No comments: