Friday, November 17, 2006


Saidi’s Muhibbah Open House

Promptly at 12 noon, we arrived at a small Malay village adjacent the Penchala Link. Nestled away, a stone’s throw from the One Utama-Curve-Tesco shopping belt, we found the quaint quiet village which Saidi and Norm called home. In no time, we were at their house, perched atop a hillock. We parked and got out.

The air was ozone-laden and crisply refreshing. The mid-afternoon sun was shining bright.

Out on the road shoulder, we were warmly greeted by Saidi’s brother. We walked up the weathered tar road that leads to the house. A flight of concrete stairs and we were there at the door-steps. The mass of footwear outside the door attested the throng of visitors before us. We heard sounds of happy laughter and gay repartee within.

Immaculately dressed in a purple baju melayu, Saidi was there to greet us. My wife bersalaman with Norm and her daughter. After the usual handshakes, we were ushered in; bade to make ourselves at home and to help ourselves to the gastronomical cuisine laid on the table. I had two helpings of nasi empit with groundnut sauce, some lemang, sambal sotong and chicken rendang. The groundnut sauce was superb! Then it was on to the laksa ala Penang. I skipped the lontong because I was ‘maxed’ by then. The teh tarik afterwards was heavenly. Saidi told me he made it himself and I extolled him sky-high.

Saidi has three children. He has a son and two daughters. One daughter could not come back for the Hari Raya this year because she is in a residential school studying for her upcoming SPM.

I particularly liked the spirit about this open house. There were many Chinese visitors, unlike other open houses these days which attracted only a handful. One reason for this is that Saidi and Norm are food caterers. As such, they have a large Chinese clientele. Their winning ways and winsome smiles made friends of many.

Also there was no datuks, datins or other honorific persons to dampen the spirit with plastic protocol and unnecessary unease. It was just common Malaysian folks making merry sans class distinction, politics and religion. The true spirit of muhibbah is alive and well at Saidi's open house!

Just like I did last year, I enjoyed Eid al-Fitr at Saidi’s as much this year.

Norm informed my wife just recently they loved playing host and are now planning a similar do for the forthcoming Eid al-Adha, this time with specially made nasi briyani and nasi minyak.

I am eagerly looking forward to this.

Quote of the Day:

"True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it has been lost. "Charles Caleb Colton

Heartsong-Heartstrong

No comments: