Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Chinese New Year in Petaling Jaya


I had a rather late night yesterday.While the family was watching Chinese New Year (CNY) specials on the telly, I was reading up a little bit on punctuation to help my son out in his forthcoming PMR examinations.

In fact, the subject on the use of comma can be real daunting if you are serious on how to excel in it–imagine reading about restrictive and non restrictive clauses and how the comma is to apply to them! School text books for English these days are so general. They would express certain rules of grammar and then quietly avoid giving examples. Shame on them!

This morning, just like on the first day of the CNY, I had a real problem getting my copy of The Star. I never did have the problem last year because there was an Indian magazine shop which opens every day. They have since moved away. So, I quickly went to the nearest 7-11 store, hoping to get a copy. A guy before me, who was there told me it was all sold out. So while lamenting our problem, both of us trudge to the nearby Shell station. Good God, it was available and we got our copy of The Star there.

This morning, I had to get my copy again from the Shell station. The Shell station is really a saviour where I lived. Bravo to it!

On the first day, of CNY, while walking past the market, I noticed that a lone hawker, the Char Keow Teow man was working. He had a couple of customers. Perhaps CNY means little to him. Maybe he is a bachelor and money is more important. I guess he may charge a little more for frying char keow teow on CNY but those customers would certainly be happy to pay up.

Returning home, I glanced through the papers and I saw this character, a public figure giving his five cents worth. I know him to be one nasty piece of work. He has one of those faces that only a mother would love; and yet he holds such a high position in this land. God must have loved him plenty. He is one proud, strutting peacock-normal intelligence but no great performer. Must have got a Godfather somewhere to propel him to stratosphere! I am more inclined to see him as a device and front for the devil -the powers and principalities. Anyway, God works in ways that man cannot comprehend. So we will leave it at that. The Malays have a saying for this. Rezeki orang!

Today is the third day of CNY. To changeover from CNY dishes, we had Maggi mee for breakfast followed by Kentucky Fried Chicken for lunch. Went to The Curve, Ikano and TESCO. There were a lot of shoppers including tourists. They were busy snapping photographs of the wonderful spring blossoms display at The Curve.

Got back after coffee and some shopping at IKEA.

I will do some more reading on English tonight. However, will have to turn in early as I start work tomorrow!


Quote of the Day

“When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion.”Dale Carnegie

Heartsong

No comments: