Saturday, March 31, 2007

ALL SOULS DAY


At 7 am, I was on the NVKE Highway heading for Malacca. There were some dangerous stretches after Senawang because of road-works. I almost had an accident when two cars which were racing each other almost bumped me as two lanes merged into one. Fortunately, I managed to move onto the outer lane before any mishap could happen. Very careless of these irresponsible road users.

Reached Malacca at 9 am and had my breakfast of Malacca chili-style kan lor mee and a cup of hot teh o. Met my elder brother from Seremban and together, with my father, two sisters-in-law and two nephews we convoyed to the Jasin Methodist Church Cemetery off Simpang Kerayong to perform our annual Cheng Beng rituals.

We unlocked the cemetery’s gate and proceeded to clean the graves. Grasses and weeds were removed and my dad used white cement to repair the grave-stones of my grandad, grandma, my brother Donny and a nephew, Ah Hai. Daddy said his prayers in Hainanese at all 4 graves before departing for lunch in town.

I ferried my daddy, sister in law and a nephew back to Malacca before setting back to Petaling Jaya. On the way, I stopped at the Dengkil Rest area and bought the famous Hj. Samuri Kajang satay as dinner for the family.

For me, this Cheng Beng was an opportunity to meet my father as I could not go home for Chinese New Year.

That ends another annual visit to the graves to pay by obligatory respects to my ancestors and dear departed members of the family.


Quote of the Day:

‘The family is a haven in a heartless world.’Christopher Lasch

Heartsong

No comments: