Wednesday, March 21, 2007

In Dog’s Heaven


My friend, Loi was saddled with a puppy. Apparently, the neighbour gave it to him. He did not know what to do and he dumped in on me with the convenient excuse that I have a house all to myself. It will make a good friend for me.

So I took in the puppy and brought it to the vet to have it checked. He told me that it was definitely part Labrador and that if I did not want it; he could dispose of it to some dog lovers. So I took it back. Since it also looked a bit like a bull mastiff, I called it, “Bully”.

I cannot remember much of his puppy-hood but Bully cost me dearly in dog-food. I bought the dog-food in half-dozens at a time from specialty pet-shops. At other times, I have to give him prime spare-ribs and chicken bones. Bully even had his own rice-cooker.

Bully was untrained and it took every opportunity to run out of the house when the gates were opened. He would do his gallivanting and then come home for dinner. Sometimes Bully stunk ‘to high heaven’ after it went rubbish dump scavenging with the neighbourhood dog pack. I would then be saddled with the unenviable task to shampoo and to wash him up. On a regular basis, I had to de-tick him.

After a few years with me, he got real sick. Heartworms-the vet said. If not treated, Bully would die. So I had to get regular medication for him. Costly too. One capsule cost RM3.00 apiece.

When I got married, my wife took over the chores of taking care of Bully. After a year or so of medicating Bully, she told me the time is near for Bully. It would be better to send him to sleep. So, I gave her RM20.00 and she summoned the Health Division of the PJ local authority to take Bully away.

I am sure Bully is in Dog Heaven now with the my other family dogs like the lovely Debbie, sickly Rover, handsome Blackie and the bravest of them all, Kau Tam.


Quote of the Day:

Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend.” Corey Ford

Heartsong

No comments: