Thursday, March 08, 2007


International Women’s Day 2007


This is the most appropriate occasion to dedicate the blog to my mother.

She was and is a great mother to me. In her mid 70s now, though frail and not in the best of health, she is just as talkative as before. When I do find the time, I would drop by to see her and to hear her talk.

I love my mother. I know the sacrifices she went through to see me through school and varsity. She spent her youth just working and working so that the family could live from one day to the next. Life has been hard for her. Just imagine the ordeal she had to go through as a rubber tapper to see us through life. Tapping rubber was all she knew and she was unashamed of it.

I remembered her rubber tapping days when I would tag along to help her;especially during the school holidays that I spent collecting latex and helping to transport the large pails to the central weigh station. Imagine doing all this stuff when other school children would go on holidays. I do not regret all this because it taught me early in life that earning money is one mean task!

There were many tender moments about my mother that I cherished. Let me just relate one such moment in time.

It was January 1974. It was my final year in varsity. The exams were close by. I needed some money to tide over two weeks because my state loan was unusually late. I actually needed only RM50 as I got RM50 from the Student Loan scheme operated by the Union.

I wrote home requesting the money. No one responded. My loving mother, earning about just RM 120 per month, took time off from work; went to town to the Post Office; withdrew RM50 from her account and sent me a money order. That action endeared me to her. I remembered fondly that special thing that she did for me to this day. I will always remember her goodness and no amount of money that I give her today can compensate for that RM50 that she sent to me in 1974. Truly a mother’s love for a son.

So on this International Women's Day, let me dedicate it to you, my mother; for you are truly a great mother and a wonderful lady to boot. I love you!


Quote of the Day:

“A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest.” Irish Proverb

Heartsong

No comments: