Saturday, March 03, 2007

Senior Citizen


Well, as of yesterday, I am officially senior citizen. So I no longer need to take a number at the Public Bank. Can go directly to the senior citizen counter to do my banking.

The other perk includes buying cinema ticket at RM6 as a senior citizen on Wednesday. I have yet to see what are the benefits that I can get from KTM and MAS.

Anyway, a birthday is just another number. At my age, you just receive some text messages and perhaps a a few phone calls. No birthday cake, no singing of the birthday songs and no dinner especially made for you. This year I was lucky to have my special Hainanese stewed black sauce pig leg as it is still Chinese New Year!

Life is the same. Do not expect people to treat you better just because you are a senior citizen.

Life goes on. Maybe, you feel tired more easily and get the sniffles more often. Other than that, things should be okay. Hope the hearing and the eyesight will still be as good in the ensuing years.

Anyway it is an opportune time for reflection and meditation. I feel I have made more mistakes than wise decisions. If we have made different decisions and taken different routes,would our life have been any better?

That brings me to the great poem by Robert Frost - "The Road Not Taken"

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
and be one Traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.



Quote of the Day

"Renew your passions daily. "Abbe Yeux-verdi

Heartsong

2 comments:

Hengster said...

Happy Birthday Uncle!

Family of Four said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Hope you would be wiser than the preceding generation.

As they say - animals have to start from square one each and every time and therefore they cannot progress; humans on the other hand, stand tall on their parents' shoulders and as such can move on higher and higher with each succeeding generation.

All the best

Heartsong